- Gluten free
- No added soya
Baby moussaka with green beansSuitable for 10 months +
this baby moussaka is easy to make and can be divided into individual portions if you have some ovenproof ramekins. these can then be frozen for use later. you may enjoy tucking into this one yourself!
4 baby servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, and a little for brushing
- 1 small (60g (2oz)) onion, finely chopped
- 200g (7oz) lean minced beef or lamb
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 200g (7oz) canned chopped tomatoes
- Half a medium aubergine (150g (5½ oz)), cut into very thin slices
- 50g (1¾ oz) baby spinach leaves, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 medium egg
- 200g (7oz) plain greek yogurt
- 40g ( 1½ oz) cheddar cheese
For each serving
- 30g (1 oz) green beans, trimmed and cut into small pieces.
Please note:Remember not to add salt to any of your baby’s recipes. Please check ingredients carefully as some product may contain allergens that you are unaware of.
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan and gently fry the onion for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mince and continue frying breaking down the mince as it cooks
- Add the garlic, cinnamon and tomatoes and cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes
- Add the spinach to the mince mixture, reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile spray or brush the aubergine lightly with oil and grill on both sides until softened and just starting to brown. Cut each slices into 8 small pieces.
- If the minced mixture looks lumpy blitz it a little in a food processor. Spoon half the mince into the bottom of a small ovenproof dish, then cover with the pieces of aubergine.
- Spoon the remaining mince on top.
- Whisk together the egg and yogurt and pour over the meat.
- Finally sprinkle over the cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile steam or boil the green beans.
- The moussaka can be stored for 2 days in the fridge or frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat until piping hot.
Serve with mashed potato, or fingers of bread.