- Gluten free
- No added soya
- No added egg
- No added milk
Chicken & mushroom risottoSuitable from 7 months.
- 1 chicken breast (125g/4oz), skinned, and cut into cubes
- 2 medium carrots (prepared weight approx. 250g/8oz), peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 150g (5oz) button mushrooms, wiped, halved if large
- 250g (8oz) risotto rice
- About 1 litre (1¾ pints) boiling water
- 100g (3½oz) frozen or canned sweetcorn
- 1 apple (prepared weight approx. 125g/4oz), peeled, cored and diced
- 6 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
Please note:Remember not to add salt to any of your baby's recipes. Please check ingredients carefully as some products may contain allergens that you are unaware of. For example, processed meats may contain milk proteins, and some vegetable oils and margarines can contain soya.
- Put the chicken, carrot and oil in a large pan and stir-fry for 5 minutes over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and rice stir well for a few minutes, then pour in 500ml (1 pint) water and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add the sweetcorn and apple and another 300ml (½ pint) hot water. Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The rice should be getting softer but you may need to add another 150ml -200ml (5-7 fl oz) hot water to finish the cooking and prevent it sticking to the pan.
- Cool for a few minutes then add the parsley and put the mixture into a blender or food processor and pulse a couple of times to get a mashed consistency, suitable for your baby.
- The mixture will keep for 3 days in a covered bowl or plastic tub in the fridge or freeze portions in plastic containers for up to 1 month.
This does make a lot of mixture, so before putting it all in the blender, make some of it into an adult meal by seasoning it well and stirring in some fresh rocket or spinach leaves to wilt down. Top the risotto with thin slices of griddled chicken breast and chopped griddled bacon and a few extra mushrooms.