Mamma's meatballsSuitable for 10 months+
- 450g (18oz) lean minced beef
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ tsp marmite, dissolved in a little boiling water
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 2 slices white bread
- 4 tbsps ready-made Cow & Gate Growing Up Milk
- 5 tbsps olive oil
- ¼ clove garlic
- 1 sweet pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 400g (16oz) tinned tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 50g (2oz) Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
Please note:Remember not to add salt to any of your baby's recipes.
Please check ingredients carefully as some products may contain allergens that you are unaware of. For example, processed meats may contain milk proteins, and some vegetable oils and margarines can contain soya.
- Pre heat oven to 150°C / 300°F / Gas Mark 2
- To make the meatballs, take a large mixing bowl and add the mince, 1 chopped onion, parsley, dissolved Marmite and beaten egg.
- Cut the crust off the bread and soak in 2 tbsps of Cow & Gate Growing Up Milk for a couple of minutes. Squeeze out any excess milk, break the milky bread into small pieces and add to the mince mixture.
- On a lightly floured chopping board roll the mince into small balls.
- Add 2 tbsps of olive oil to a frying pan and fry the meatballs until they are nicely browned all over.
- To make the tomato sauce, pour 3 tbsps of olive oil into a pan and add the second chopped onion, garlic and chopped pepper. Cook gently until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and reduce by two thirds.
- Keeping the pan on a gentle heat, add 2 tbsps of Cow & Gate Growing Up Milk.
- Remove from the heat and add the Parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
- Put the miniature meatballs in an oven proof dish and top with the tomato sauce.
- If you want to freeze for later use, cover the dish with cling film and allow to cool. Then freeze immediately. You can mark and date it, and it should last for up to three months in the freezer. It is best to defrost the dish before cooking.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool to a toddler friendly temperature, then serve.