- No added soya
- No added egg
- No added milk
Baby meatballs with tomato and red pepper sauceSuitable for 10 months+
These tiny, tasty beef meatballs are a fantastic source of iron. The vitamin C in the vegetables helps your toddler absorb even more of it!
Makes 7 toddler portions or
2-3 adult portions
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- Grated zest of one lemon
- 340g (12oz) tinned tomatoes
For the meatballs:
- 250g lean beef mince
- 1 slice (30g) half white and half wholemeal bread
- About 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Flour or Semolina for shaping
Please note:Remember not to add salt to any of your baby's recipes. Please check ingredients carefully as some products may contain allergens that you are unaware of. For example, processed meats may contain milk proteins, and some vegetable oils and margarines can contain soya. Also, Worcestershire sauce may contain fish.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a non stick saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the peppers, lemon and tinned tomatoes, and bring them all to the boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer with a lid on the pan for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, to make the meatballs, blend the mince, bread, basil and Worcestershire sauce together in a food processor until well mixed.
- Use your hands to make 21 small balls from the mixture, sprinkling them with a little flour or semolina if they are a bit sticky.
- Gently fry the meatballs in a non stick pan until browned on the outside, stirring and turning them so they’re evenly cooked through.
- When the meatballs are cooked (you can cut one open to check that the meat isn’t still pink), they’re ready to serve with the sauce!
- Let your toddler's portion cool a little before serving.
- Makes multiple servings. Just freeze the remaining food into portions appropriate for your baby. Can be kept in the freezer for a maximum of 3 months.
For a delicious, nutritious, filling meal, serve with rice, mashed potatoes, or pasta.