- No added soya
- No added milk
Bean BakeSuitable from 12+ months
With a combination of beans, this is an easy iron-rich toddler favourite. If you can’t find cornmeal, simply replace with semolina or couscous.
Makes 6 toddler portions or
3 adult portions
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 100g (3.5oz) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 420g (15oz) can reduced sugar and salt baked beans
- 400g (14oz) can of black eye or beans of your choice, drained
For the topping:
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 50g (2oz) plain white flour
- 50g (2oz) fine cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50ml (2 fl oz) water
Please note:Remember not to add salt to any of your baby's recipes. Please check ingredients carefully as some products may contain allergens that you are unaware of. For example, processed meats may contain milk proteins, and some vegetable oils and margarines can contain soya.
- Prepare by preheating the oven to 190°C or 180°C for fan assisted ovens or gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a non stick saucepan and gently fry the onion until starting to soften.
- Stir in the mushrooms. Cover the pan and let them cook on a reduced heat for 5 minutes, stirring half way through or more if they stick.
- Add the whole can of baked beans and the other canned beans. You can add a couple of tablespoons of water if the mixture looks a bit dry.
- Pour it all into an ovenproof dish and smooth it down with a wooden spoon.
- For the topping, beat all the ingredients together and simply spoon it over the bean mixture.
- Bake it for 25-30 minutes until the topping is risen and lightly browned.
- Let your toddler's portion cool a little before serving.
- Makes multiple servings. Just freeze the remaining food into portions appropriate for your baby. Can be kept in the freezer for a maximum of 3 months.
For a delicious balanced meal, serve with green beans, peas or broccoli.