- No added soya
- No added egg
Cumberland pieSuitable for 10 months+
This family favourite contains iron-rich minced beef and mashed potatoes for a satisfying lunch or dinner.
Makes 10 toddler portions or
4 adult portions
For the filling:
- 500g (18oz) extra lean steak mince
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed, and finely diced,
- 1 low salt beef stock cube
For the topping:
- 250ml (9 fl oz) boiling water
- 750g (26oz) potatoes, peeled and quartered if large
- 75ml (3 fl oz) semi skimmed milk
- 10g (2tsp) polyunsaturated spread
- 2 slices bread, made into breadcrumbs (1 white and 1 wholemeal)
- 50g (2oz) cheddar cheese, finely grated.
Please note:Remember not to add salt to any of your baby's recipes. Please check ingredients carefully as some products may contain allergens that you are unaware of. For example, processed meats may contain milk proteins, and some vegetable oils and margarines can contain soya.
- First, preheat the oven to 190°C or 170°C for fan assisted ovens or gas mark 6
- To make the filling, place the mince in a non stick pan and heat gently, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the onion and carrots and cook for 5 minutes – the fat from the mince will stop it sticking.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the boiling water and add it to the pan.
- Bring it all to the boil, then stir, cover and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the topping, boil the potatoes in unsalted water. Once cooked, drain them and mash until smooth with the milk and spread.
- To make the pie, place the mince filling in an oven proof dish and carefully spread the mashed potato on the top.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle onto the pie.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and the centre is piping hot.
- Let your toddler's portion cool a little before serving.
- Makes multiple servings. Just freeze the remaining food into portions appropriate for your baby. Can be kept in the freezer for a maximum of 3 months.
For an extra iron boost, serve with tasty green vegetables such as broccoli, green soya beans or spinach.