- No added soya
- No added milk
Spaghetti bolognaiseSuitable from 12+ months.
A firm family favourite - iron rich lean minced beef made into a simple bolognaise sauce. If you use wholewheat pasta the iron content will be even greater.
Makes 4 toddler portions or
2 adult portions
- 400g (14oz) lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 200g (7oz) mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 level tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 150ml (5 fl oz) water
- Spaghetti – around 80-100g (3oz) per portion for adults and 40-50g (1.5-2oz) for toddlers.
Please note:Remember not to add salt to any of your baby's recipes. Please check ingredients carefully as some products may contain allergens that you are unaware of. For example, processed meats may contain milk proteins, and some vegetable oils and margarines can contain soya.
- Place the mince in a non stick pan and heat gently using a wooden spoon to break up the pieces.
- After a few minutes when some cooking juices are released from the meat add the onions and garlic and continue to cook, stirring frequently until the meat is browned.
- Stir in the mushrooms, tomatoes, purée and herbs along with the water.
- Bring to the boil, stir and cover, then simmer, stirring occasionally for 20-25 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in unsalted boiling water until just soft.
- For the toddler portion chop the spaghetti into manageable chunks and if required puree the sauce.
- Allow your toddler's portion to cool a little before serving.
- Makes multiple servings. Just freeze the remaining food into portions appropriate for your baby. Can be kept in the freezer for a maximum of 3 months.
This dish is great served with, broccoli or peas or you could add a little cooked chopped spinach to the sauce before serving. These all boost the iron and vitamin C content of your toddlers meal