- 1 small cauliflower (prepared weight approx. 350g/12oz), outside leaves removed and florets cut into even-sized pieces
- 200ml (7 fl oz) baby's usual milk
- 2 tablespoons (25g/1oz) ground rice or baby rice
- 75g (3oz) good quality Cheddar cheese, finely grated
Remember not to add salt to any of your baby's recipes.
- Add the cauliflower to a pan of boiling water, with just enough water to cover. Half cover the pan with the lid and simmer for about 15 minutes until the cauliflower has softened. Drain, reserving the cooking water.
- To make the sauce: Pour the milk into a large bowl or measuring jug. Add 100ml (3 ½fl oz) of the cooking water and sprinkle in the ground rice. Microwave on high power for 4½ - 5 minutes, stopping and whisking the mixture every so often. Watch it does not boil up and over the jug. When it is a thick, smooth, rice mixture, add the grated cheese. Stir well to make sure there are no hot spots. If you rather not use a microwave, cook the rice in a pan on the hob for 8-10 minutes, stirring fairly frequently.
- Put the cauliflower into a blender or food processor and whizz to make a purée. Pour in the cheesy rice mixture and whizz again to blend. If it is too thick, add more cooking water to get the smooth consistency suitable for your baby.
- Makes multiple servings. Just freeze the remaining food into portions appropriate for your baby. Can be kept in the freezer for a maximum of 1 month or 3 days in a covered bowl or plastic tub in the fridge.
Back to top