Coronavirus and product availability
Where can I buy Cow & Gate products if I can’t find any stock in my local area?
We know many families rely on our products and so keeping them available is our main priority. As a manufacturer of nutrition for little ones, we’re doing everything we can to ensure parents and carers can find the products they need.
We continue to send out regular, daily supplies of our products to retailers in the UK. As shelves in stores are refilled, you should be able to find your usual formula products. But we know this isn’t always the case, and availability can vary by individual store and location.
We know many parents have found it difficult to find their usual formula products lately and we know how worrying this can be. We want to give you the reassurance that we’re listening, and we recognise how important it is for you to be able to give your baby what they need, when they need it. We’ve been working hard behind the scenes to offer some of our products for you to purchase directly from us. This option is now available from our website shop where you can order two items per transaction, and one transaction per week. This limit is to ensure as many parents as possible can buy the products they need.
If you’re having difficulties finding your usual products in your local area, you might find some of these suggestions helpful:
- Depending on how old your baby is, there may be suitable alternatives to your usual formula product. Please see our guidance below “What else could I feed my baby?”
- Some retailers have online local stock checking facilities. If you see stock is available, try calling ahead and ask them to hold it for you if possible
- Try local pharmacies and independent stores which are often less heavily used
- Ask a friend or family member to keep an eye out if they are out shopping
- Call the stores you usually shop at, to find out when they normally replenish shelves
- If you’re out of options, we recommend you speak to a Healthcare professional for advice
- Many helpful community- spirited individuals and groups are offering support to parents. You could try local parent groups on social media
- Be aware that formula products are being offered for sale on some websites at inflated prices. We do not support or endorse this behaviour.
Please be assured that we’re committed to helping and supporting you as much as we can during this difficult time. We also know that people want to help each other and their wider community. We ask you please think before you buy and please only buy what you and your family need. If we all do this, then together we can help make sure we have enough for everyone.
What else could I feed my baby if I’ve run out of my usual feed?
Whilst we would not normally advise you to change little one’s formula milk without consulting a Healthcare Professional, we’re in an unprecedented situation and the priority is making sure your baby gets the nutrition they need. Some alternative options are listed below based on the age of your baby.
- for babies 0-6 months. You can use most infant milks labelled suitable from birth from any manufacturer in powder or liquid form (excluding specialist milks unless appropriate for your baby’s circumstances). Although the usual recommendation is to stay with one brand, you can change if necessary. You should not use follow-on or growing up milks for babies under 6 months.
- for babies 6+ months. You can use most infant milks labelled suitable from birth or follow-on milks from any manufacturer in powder or liquid form (excluding specialist milks unless appropriate for your baby’s circumstances). You should not use 1+ year milks for babies under 12 months.
- for toddlers 1+ year. You can use growing up milks or alternatively you may like to consider moving your toddler onto cow’s milk as their main drink.
If you decide to change your formula product, it is completely safe for you to do so immediately. However, every baby is different, and some babies may experience settling issues when changing products due to slightly different tastes, textures and composition. This is normal and any symptoms should be minimal and temporary (such as changes in stool frequency and colour).
What if my baby is using your specialist products and I can’t find supplies?
We recommend you speak to your Healthcare Professional if your baby has specific needs. We have supplies of these products and are sending out regular, daily orders to retailers and pharmacies.
If I contact Cow & Gate’s Careline directly, can they send me stock?
We’re aware there are some messages going around on Social Media about Cow & Gate sending out formula products if parents are unable to find these in stores. This is not true.
Here in the UK, we comply with strict Regulations and we are not allowed to send out formula products to parents for free. This is the case for any formula products sold in the UK.
We also cannot take payments via our Careline, so unfortunately our team can’t support you by selling products to you directly. However, you can now order some of our products directly from our website in our shop section.
We’re sorry to hear that anyone is having difficulties finding their usual products. We know many families rely on our products, so keeping them available is a priority.
All of the latest information on stock availability and advice on pregnancy, breastfeeding and keeping your baby safe is available on our website.
Please be assured that we are committed to helping and supporting you as much as we can during this difficult time. Our Careline team are busier than usual, so we would like to apologise that it may take us longer than usual to respond. Thank you for your understanding.
What can I do to help others if they can’t find any product?
We know a lot of people want to help each other and their wider community, and we recognise how important it is to provide support and help to pregnant women and parents at this challenging time. We ask that you all look out for one another. If you can, consider helping local groups and connecting with other parents (even if digitally)!
We also ask you please to think before you buy and please only buy what you and your family need. If we all do this, then together we can help make sure we have enough for everyone.
Why can’t I get hold of Cow & Gate’s Careline?
Given the current circumstances we find ourselves in, we’re moving to home-working to protect the well-being of our employees and in line with the latest government advice.
Please be assured that we’re committed to helping and supporting you as much as we can during this difficult time. Our Careline team are still very much available, but we are prioritising our social and online channels during this time, and our phone lines will be temporarily closed whilst we adapt to home-working.
If you have any questions, our team are available on WhatsApp and other Social Media channels. Our team are busier than usual, so we would like to apologise that it may take us longer than usual to respond. Thank you for your understanding.
Any more questions?
Our specialist baby advisors and experienced mums are here to talk and ready to help whenever you need them. You can call us 24/7, or we are available on Live Chat 8am-8pm Monday-Friday.