Count on calcium for healthy teeth and bones
Making sure they get enough
Calcium is found in lots of foods that toddlers love – like yogurt, fromage frais, cheese, milk and leafy green vegetables. To make it fun for your toddler to discover new foods you could try setting out a tray with lots of different yummy, calcium-rich treats for them to try – and let them help themselves.
If your toddler is feeling less adventurous than usual, mealtime games will soon get them interested.
Our favourite tips for upping their calcium count:
- Mini-cheeses are perfect for little hands and easy to carry around for an on-the-go calcium boost.
- Tinned sardines are packed with calcium and are great on toast, in pasta or in sandwiches (bread also contains calcium).
- Milk is great – but make sure it’s full-fat.
- Add some broccoli into pasta dishes – you only need a little.
- Little pots or jars of yogurt or fromage frais make a scrummy healthy breakfast or pudding.
With such a lot of growing to do, your toddler needs meals that are calcium-rich and include a wide range of other nutrients too. If you’re looking for a little extra inspiration, we’ve put together lots of delicious toddler recipes for you to try.
For lots more advice and tips about your toddler’s diet, take a look at our helpful feeding articles.